23 March 2005

She'll Bartend Your Party

Kings of Leon were at Headliners Monday night. We saw them at Phoenix Hill Tavern back in 2003 and they were pretty good, so what the hell? We went. I like the Kings but I don't love 'em. Their debut EP Holy Roller Novocaine was killer; the debut album Youth & Young Manhood was every song from the EP plus a bunch of songs I didn't care for and their latest, Aha Shake Heartbreak was also so-so. But free tickets is free tickets. Or so I thought.

Well, apparently, the Kings, or their tour manager, or somebody, thought that Louisville was on Central Standard Time, which it certainly is not. So the Kings were running at least an hour behind. It's rock 'n roll, which isn't necessarily punctual, but c'mon: They didn't take the stage until 10:50 p.m. They probably should've been wrapping up by then. And I know I'm showing my age, but it was a Monday night and I had to go to work the next day. Nevertheless, things eventually got off to a great start because they opened with "Molly's Chamber," my favorite song of theirs and also the song featured in a new Volkswagen commercial. They played well, especially bass player Jared Followill, who was rocking a beautiful Thunderbird. But since we'd been at the club since 8:30, and we're old, remember, we only made it through eight or nine songs before we split.

Sorry, guys. I'll catch you next go 'round.

No comments: